I received the monthly newsletter from my local Wildlife Trust (Lancashire Wildlife Trust) today and as Marine Zoologist by training, this caught my eye, so I thought I’d add it to the blog to help the cause!
I copy it verbatim.
Marine Conservation Bill Campaign Status: Next 3 weeks are critical – Bill at risk!
This month -as the Marine Bill hangs in the balance – we have an urgent request; that you take 5 minutes to email your MP asking for his/her support.
We have been tipped off by MP’s that there are too many Bills lined up for the coming year. The Government has many serious issues to address and may decide to drop some of these Bills before the Queen’s Speech on 3 December. The UK Marine Bill has been mentioned as being vulnerable. We cannot let this happen! New laws to protect the marine environment are already long overdue. If the Bill is postponed now, we may not get another chance for many years.
We have just 3 weeks to keep the Bill afloat – but you can throw a lifeline! Just 5 minutes could be enough to help save the Bill. Simply follow the 5 steps below.
If you don’t know who your MP is, visit http://www.theyworkforyou.com/and enter your postcode.
- Visit the list of MP’s who have signed a new Early Day Motion (EDM) supporting the Marine Bill (‘EDM 2189: Taking forward the Marine Bill’), and check whether your MP has signed it. Please click here to visit the page.
- Go back to http://www.theyworkforyou.com/ enter your postcode to go to your MP’s page, and click on ‘Send an email to…’.
- If your MP has signed the EDM, politely thank him/her for signing it.
- Ask him/her to write to the new marine minister, Huw Irranca-Davies, urging him to make sure that the Marine Bill is included in the 2008 Queen’s Speech.
- Or, if your MP has not signed the EDM, politely ask him/her to consider signing it. Also ask him/her to write to the new marine minister, Huw Irranca-Davies, urging him to make sure that the Marine Bill is included in the 2008 Queen’s Speech.
Once you’ve done that, please send an an email letting us know which MP you have contacted: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bear in mind that some MP’s are unable to sign EDMs because of the position they hold. Others do not sign EDM’s on principle. If your MP chooses not to sign the Marine Bill EDM, please be respectful of his/her decision.