If you have been growing a crop of cauliflower this year, you’ll hopefully be enjoying the harvest round about now. vegetables taste so much better when they are eaten in season, and nothing beats harvesting your own tea! The taste and sense of satisfaction is beyond compare.
If you want to grow your own vegetables visit www.recycleworks.co.uk for all your gardening needs.
This is a great heart warming family recipe, and is one easy way I manage to get my kids eating one of their 5 a day.
1 large, creamy-white cauliflower, trimmed and broken into florets
25g plain flour
550 ml milk
150g cheddar Cheddar, grated
2 tbsp crème fraîche or double cream
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
25g fine fresh white breadcrumbs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the cauliflower in boiling water until it is tender but not over-cooked
- Grease an oven proof dish and then add the cauliflower
- Make the cheese sauce by melting the butter in a sauce-pan. Add the flour and stir with a wooden spoon to make a paste, but do not allow to go brown or burn
- Add the milk a little at a time and keep stirring the mixture
- When all the milk is added simmer for a few minutes until the sauce thickens and is creamy. Stir regularly to avoid the sauce sticking to the bottom of the pan
- Remove from the heat and add the cheese, crème friache and mustard
- Pour the sauce over the cauliflower
- Mix the breadcrumbs and a handful of cheddar then sprinkle over the top
- Bake at 200 C for around half an hour or until browned
- Serve with crusty bread and enjoy!
Raised beds are the perfect way to grow vegetables, and The Recycleworks Ltd specialises in the manufacture of a large selection. The soil in raised beds is easier to maintain and is generally lighter, better drained and warmer. Gardening in a raised bed can also reduce pest damage and all in all crops often do better. It’s also easier for the gardener with no more heavy digging. The Raised Beds from www.recycleworks.co.uk are made from FSC wood and with no screws, no nails and no holes to dig, they can be assembled in minutes.