cooking fruit, cooking pears, grow your own, how to cook pears, how to poach pears, orchard fruit, poached pears in chocolate sauce recipe, recipe, recipe for pears, recycle works, recycleworks, The Recycle Works, vegetarian recipe
Autumn is here and along with misty, cobwebbed mornings and crunchy leaves underfoot there are the delights of the orchard fruit season to enjoy. …and there is no better time to savour delicious English pears. So with that in mind why not try our deliciously indulgent poached pears.
For the chocolate sauce:
200g dark chocolate
splash of brandy
150ml double cream
- Peel and remove the core from each pear, leaving the stalk intact
- Slice the bottom of each pear to make a flat base
- In a large pan melt the sugar in the water with the vanilla pod and orange zest
- Put the pears upright into the pan and poach for about 20 minutes until cooked
- Remove them from the pan and keep the liquid
- To make the chocolate sauce, heat the double cream and milk in a pan
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl above steaming water
- Add the melted chocolate, brandy and two tablespoons of the pear liquid to the pan of double cream and milk
- Gently heat the mix and stir to make a sauce
- Pour chocolate sauce over each pear and serve with cream – yummy!