Gardening with children, gooseberry fool, gooseberry fool recipe, gooseberry recipe, grow your own, how to make gooseberry fool, picking soft fruit, recipes, recycle works, recycleworks, The Recycle Works
Gooseberries are at their seasonal best round about now and this recipe is totally delicious and very indulgent. The perfect end to a dinner party or a little treat to enjoy on a warm day, it has to be one of the most yummy ways to eat gooseberries.
If you want to make a slightly healthier version some of the cream can be substituted with creme friache without loosing any of the creamy flavour.
half pint double cream
few drops of vanilla essence
dash of elderflower cordial to taste
- Top and tail the gooseberries and place in a saucepan
- Add two or three tablespoons of sugar and heat through for a few minutes on a low heat
- Allow the gooseberries to soften nicely, add the remaining sugar and then continue heating to allow for some of the water to evaporate
- Take care to stir the mixture and avoid allowing it to burn onto the bottom of the pan
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool
- Sieve the mixture to remove skins, seeds etc
- Stir in a dash of elderflower cordial and taste. Add more if desired
- In a separate bowl whip up the cream
- Fold the gooseberries carefully into the cream
- Place in the fridge to chill
….And to pick soft fruit in double-quick time have a look at our handy and very cleverly designed Berry Pickers.