cooking tomatoes, cooking with tomatoes, gardening, gardening works, grow your own, how to make soup, how to make tomato soup, recipes, recycle works, recycleworks, soup, tomato soup, tomato soup recipe, tomatoes, vegetable soup, vegetarian recipe
We’re huge fans of freshly made soups at Gardening Works. Like a lot of traditional cooking, soup making is so easy, but is often forgotten in these days of convenience. …But as soon as you’ve tried your own you won’t ever want to open another tin.
I like to make a huge pan of soup on a Sunday evening and then the family help themselves for a healthy lunch or after school snack.
With a glut of tomatoes just around the corner, this recipe produces a lovely creamy soup, full of flavour…….. But don’t forget the bay leaf as it really adds a little something to the mix.
What to do
- Chop the onion and gently fry in the butter until clear
- Add a clove of crushed garlic, mix and fry a little longer
- Peel and chop the potato and add
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and add
- Add in the bay leaf and stock
- Simmer gently for 20 minutes
- Allow to cool
- Remove the bay leaf
- Blend until smooth
- Add milk as desired to obtain preferred thickness
- Reheat before serving
Serve with crusty bread or my children’s favourite – cheese on toast croutons!
…And it’s always worth remembering that food tastes one hundred times better if you grow your own! For all your Grow Your Own needs visit our website at Gardening Works